Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sempervivum Cone

I had the idea the other day to create a small cone to hang hens and chicks (sempervivum) on the fence. I had extra fine gauge mesh left over from creating a cinder block sculpture so I decided to give a try. It worked out beautifully.

Get some fine gauge mesh at your hardware store. Cut into a rectangular / square shape. Roll into a cone shape and squeeze the bottom together. I also folded the back rough edge under to keep the sharp wire edges from cutting me.

Fill half way with pebbles, add a bit of cactus and succulent mix mixed with pebbles.

Hang your cone on a nail where you would like it placed. Smash ends to keep soil and pebbles in place.

Take out your sempervivum and flip it over. Clean off roots, clean up dead or drying leaves, then tuck gently into the cone. Add more pebbles and soil and to hold it in place.

Now you have a lovely hanging sempervivum bouquet.

I am in zone 9b. Hot summers, a little rain, light freezes. I have had trouble with sempervivum either burning up or rotting. This last year I have found a successful way of growing these. For me, I take the soil off the roots and gently place in a mostly gravel mix. Roots just barely touching dirt. Morning direct sun only, bright light always, to keep color and help with growth. Very Light water. I have many spreading hens and chicks finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment